|The directory of community and business organisations in Broadstone Dorset|
|Residents Association MagazineWinter 2000/2001 - 2|
THIS IS BROADSTONE COMMEMORATING THE MILLENNIUM
A commemorative Robus Oak Tree and Teak Seat were installed in the Recreation ground, close to the Broadstone War Memorial on the 28th October to mark the commencement of the third Millennium.
Considering the horrendous wind and rain quite a number of residents attended the ceremony. The Chairman of the Broadstone Residents Association, Mr John Noyes, introduced the event. Various Broadstone organisations that had financed the event fulfilled their intention to create two permanent objects to remind themselves, residents of Broadstone and future generations, of the 2000th anniversary of the birth of Christ.
installation was carried out by the oldest, "Broadstone Born"
inhabitant Mrs Martha Applin, and the two youngest "Broadstone
Born" children from the two Broadstone First schools; Bethany Ellis
from Broadstone's First School and Katharine Wingfield from Springdale's
First School. The three ladies placed a quantity of Eco-Mulch around
the tree and then sat on the seat, which they found to their satisfaction.
Once the installation was complete and satisfactory, the Rev Paul Mears
from Broadstone Methodist Church, one of the leaders of the churches
in Broadstone dedicated both the Tree and the Seat to the use of young
and old, in anticipation of the development of many friendships. Both
the tree and the seat have an engraved plaque attached, to indicate
to posterity the significance of the symbols left by this generation
to mark the Millennium. The plaque is worded:
Mrs Martha Applin was born in 1908 in a house in Dunyeats Road. The Somerset and Dorset Railway who together with the South Western Railway had a junction at "Broadstone" Station (originally known as "New Poole Junction"), employed her Father. Today there is little or no evidence of the railways, the station or the cottages, which were located about where the sports centre is now. Before the railway (ca. 1840), Broadstone hardly existed, it was the railway that created the village and most of the shops were in Station Road. By the time Martha was old enough to go to school in what is now Broadstone's First School the station's name had been changed to Broadstone. Sometime later, Martha moved to a house in Charborough Road where she has lived ever since.
Photos courtesy of Marilyn Ayres, Community Magazines
Say you saw it on "Broadstone NET"
site designed and maintained by david anderson
Last Updated: 20th February 2004